September - 2020
  01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 26 27
28 29 30  

Practical information

Visa, residence permit

Information on the regulations concerning the visa and the residence permit can be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Hungary or at the diplomatic and consular missions of Hungary (see the Ministry website for the list).

International students are highly recommended to consult the relevant authorities (and their websites) at least 2 months before the beginning of their studies. Upon receipt of the Letter of Acceptance from the Corvinus University of Budapest, students from non-EEA countries (non-EEA nationals) must hand in their demand on residence permit for the purpose of studies at the Hungarian Embassy in their home country. (We very much recommend that all non-EEA citizens - even those who are eligible to enter Hungary without a visa for up to 90 days - apply for a visa for residence permit BEFORE coming to Hungary.) 

In case of successful application, the students obtain a visa – for the purpose of studies – authorising them to a single entry for receiving the residence permit and to stay for maximum 30 days in Hungary. The decision on the residence permit falls within the scope of the regional directorates of the Office of Immigration and Nationality. The students must visit the Office of Immigration and Nationality and obtain their residence permit within 30 days from the day of entry.

All non-EEA nationals must, at all times during their stay and studies here, have a valid residence permit allowing them to study in Hungary. Those international students who are staying at Corvinus for a longer period of time – for more than one semester – are obliged to have the residence permit renewed before it expires. Please note that renewal of the residence permit must be started at least 30 days before it expires.

The regulations for the registration of the place of residence and the residence permit can also be found on the website of the Office of Immigration and Nationality and/or of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Here you can find the most up-to-date list of diplomatic and consular representations in Hungary.

Students from EEA countries (EEA nationals) must obtain their certificate of registration at the regional directorate competent for the place of residence within 3 months from the day of entry.

All international students are also responsible for registering their housing address at the regional directorate competent for the place of residence. Each student will receive an “address ID card” which is obligatory for all people residing in Hungary. In general, all international students have to notify the authorities about their place of residence soon after arrival and within 3 days after any changes taking place.

Further information on visa and residence permit (pdf version)

Health care, insurance

All international students are recommended to insure themselves in their home country. Valid health insurance for the duration of your stay in Hungary is obligatory (if your health insurance card does not specifically state that it is valid for EU member states or that is valid specifically for Hungary, please ask your insurance company to supply you with an official letter to this effect as the Hungarian Immigration Authorities may need this statement when you arrive to Budapest). NB: The health insurance must provide full coverage, emergency health insurance will not be accepted.

Health Care Services in Hungary (pdf version)

Ebola virus disease – Information for travellers and exchange students


It is suggested that students rent a flat or share a rented flat, this is what most international students do. The International Office makes every reasonable effort to provide assistance in finding the suitable accommodation. At the beginning of each semester a list of some real estate agencies is issued in the Information Letter that may help our international students to find accommodation. Please note, however, that the University does not have an agreement with these agencies, so we cannot guarantee their prices, rental conditions, quality of cooperation etc. It is advisable to ask the Hungarian Tandem partner for help in finding accommodation. It is also recommended that students look for a place to stay for the first couple of days (temporary accommodation e.g. in a hostel) and see the rentable apartments for themselves. It is very important to read the rental agreement carefully before paying or signing anything!

Cost of living

  • Students need about EUR 450 – 750 per month to cover all expenses.
  • Accommodation: about EUR 250 – 400 per month per person, depending on the size and location of the flat as well as on the number of students sharing it.
  • Living costs (food, transport, miscellaneous): about EUR 200 – 400 per month.
  • Academic related expenses (student ID, books, photocopying, etc.): about EUR 50 – 100 per semester.


The University is closed on these days:

  • New Year's Day (January 1)
  • Memorial Day of the 1848 Revolution (March 15)
  • Easter (Sunday and Monday)
  • Labour Day (May 1)
  • Whit Monday
  • St. Stephen's Day (August 20)
  • Memorial Day of the 1956 Revolution (October 23)
  • All Saint's Day (November 1)
  • Christmas (December 25, 26)

To top

Last modified: 2018.11.30.